Friday, March 04, 2005

I was going to talk about how great it is to live in a neighbourhood where yesterday I saw one of my fave singer songwriters and seconds later, one of my fave film makers while I burn these cds and wait for my ride to hockey but...

I think I want to talk about the interesting cultures of horn players vs guitar players. It is interesting to me (and I hope to turn this into an essay someday) how guitar players often come out of the garage band tradition where horn player come out of the high school band tradition.

One of the first differences is that us garage guys spent our formative years writing original music and putting up posters. (and dreaming of being famous rockstars but I dont want to go there right now) where the band kids just worked on reading music and had everything done for them regarding their gigs (oh, sure they had to sell oranges door to door to fund the trip to New Orleans...big deal)

This reminds me of something a local writer once said about guitar players being all about publicity (or something along those lines)

more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter